You are here: What certificates should I have when selling my house?

What certificates should I have when selling my house?

When selling a house, you need your paperwork to be in order and that includes certain documents and certificates. Read our checklist of certificates that you need for an easy sale:


Proof of Identity

Your solicitor will need to see a photo ID such as your passport or driving licence and also a proof of address, such as a recent bank statement or utility bill. If your mortgage is in two names, you both need to show proof of identity.

Property Title Deeds

These are paper documents showing the chain of ownership for the land and property you wish to sell. They can include contracts for sale, wills, conveyances, mortgages and leases. HM Land Registry will only have the original title deeds when the land or property is first registered. You need the most recent title deeds to confirm your ownership. Most probably, you will have been given the title deeds when you bought the property and either you, your solicitor or your mortgage company should have them in possession already.


Sellers must provide an Energy Performance Certificate for the property. This is a legal requirement for every home in the UK to tell would-be buyers how energy efficient the house is to run. It rates the energy performance of a property from A (very efficient with the cheapest energy bills) to G (least efficient with the highest bills). Should you need one, you can find an accredited independent EPC assessor on our "Find Professionals" page

Paperwork for selling your home
When selling your home, there is a variety of paperwork you need


Fittings and Content Form (TA10)

Otherwise known as the Fixtures and Fittings form, this is not a legal compulsory, but it is highly recommended to avoid any problems further down the line. Your solicitor will be able to supply you with a TA10 form, which will let you list every fixture and fitting that is to be included or excluded from the sale.  This can include:

  • Basic fittings (e.g. boilers, radiators, light switches, roof insulation, burglar alarm).
  • White goods (e.g. cookers, microwaves, freezers, washing machine etc).
  • Light Fittings
  • Carpets and curtain rails
  • Outdoor area (e.g. garden furniture, barbecues, dustbins, sheds, trampolines).

Property Information Form (TA6)

This form is also not mandatory but any omissions or delay in providing some of the information can delay a sale. A Property Information Form contains all the detailed information about a property being sold such as property boundaries, any disputes or complaints with neighbours, building notices and proposals, existence of any valid warranties (e.g. New Home Warranty, damp proofing course, electrical work guarantees). It is very important that your answers are accurate, as incorrect or incomplete information could leave you open to a claim for compensation.

Leasehold Information Form (TA7)

For Leasehold properties only, the TA7 form should be completed at the first stage of conveyancing. The more information you can provide about any shared freehold documents, management contracts, maintenance charges, or rent to the landlord, the better.

Management Information Pack/Leasehold Information Pack

It is the seller’s responsibility to provide information regarding the management of the building in which a leasehold flat is located. Your landlord or management companies will provide replies to leasehold property enquiries raised by the buyer’s solicitor.


Gas and Electrical Safety certificates.

By law, for sales, you are not required to provider your buyer with a Gas Safety Certificate or an Electrical Safety certificate. You are required to provide a Gas Safety Certificate if you intend to let the property and you must do this annually.

The National Inspection Council for Electrical Installation Contracting (NICEIC) recommends 10 yearly inspections of all domestic wiring installations or upon change of ownership, whichever is sooner. However, this is usually something the buyer should sort.

If there have been any alterations or additions to the electrical installation since January 1, 2005, the seller must obtain a Part B Building Regulation Certificate.

Building Work

If you have had any major work done or completed an extension to the property, you will be asked to show copies of documents confirming the work has been signed off by your local council’s Building Regulations Department. If you don’t have these certificates, it doesn’t mean the works did not follow the correct procedures, but it might make potential buyers wary. In these cases, you can purchase a building regulation indemnity insurance policy.

Sorting what paperwork is required early on, is generally a good thing to do. Then, you can spend more time on the fun stuff like how you are going to decorate!